Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Highlights of Glastonbury 2013

The BBC was once again on top of their game with their coverage of the Glastonbury festival edition 2013, and I had an awesome time wading through hours and hours of concert footage.

This year, I didn't even fast-forward a lot of stuff, and I - as a Beatles-man - have to admit The Rolling Stones did a good job.

From all the things I managed to see, the acts below were definitely among the standout performances. BBC and other parties have uploaded some full concerts to youtube, and they're pretty good in sound and video quality, so I hope they will stay online.

  • It's no secret that I've come to like the all-female band Savages echoing the sound of Joy Division and Siouxsie (just reiterating the commen consensus here). Stellar performance, enigmatic frontwoman (notice the shoes!), drums could've/should've been slightly louder in the mix maybe.
    (Glasto set disappeared from youtube, one from Italy instead, sounds are good but filming's not that great)

  • Now I had heard mysterious Swedish band Goat floating around here and there on blogs and the likes, but from the description I'd read never checked them out because it didn't sound like something I'd like. After Glastonbury, I have to reconsider. I like the outfits, the dancing, the jam-like structure of the songs and the allround musicianship. Standout tracks would have to be 'Goatman' and 'Run to your mama'. I urge you to give this a shot.

  • Jessie Ware has gotten a lot of praise here at the Isasapla HQ, and her Glasto set did not disappoint. Singing was on spot, her on-stage presence endearing. She's genious and genuine. Minor point of criticism if I may: it's a bit of a shame that Jessie is sometimes tethered to her soundpad to start samples and the likes. Now I can only applaud the effort to eliminate superfluous band members, but in this case, it limits her freedom and kind of breaks the intimate atmosphere she's trying to create. But other than that, very near perfection right here.
    (Glasto set disappeared from youtube, Coachella set instead)

  • It's easy to slightly overlook Portishead, seeing as they have been a band for so long, but only the uttermost respect for their performance. No full set here, but some highlights.
    A chilling rendition of 'Wandering star'
    The ever awesome 'Machine gun':
    And 'We carry on', with Beth ending the track by first shaking hands and hugging the front rows, then lighting a fag.


No comments:

Post a Comment