Friday, December 14, 2012

I'm hypnotized by your name. I wish this night wouldn't end.

This is merely a rushed, quick update: best (radio-)singles of the second half of 2012 coming up real soon!


Deftones - Entombed

Can't go wrong with the new Deftones record. Seeing that I now own all seven regular studio albums, I'm probably not fully objective right here.


Haim - Forever

Absolutely my favourite track of the moment. The fact the band (Hanson anybody) made up of three long-haired siblings is only one of the factors (although I'll admit the right one has some killer dance moves). The genious 2-second drum rhythm! The interspersed backing vocals! The subtle keyboard touches! The percussion details (handclaps and wood blocks)! The tempo variations in the vocals! I like the video as well. Objectively, this isn't in the least groundbreaking on a lyrical or musical level, but just tremendously well executed.


Passenger - Let her go

As if Ed Sheeran wasn't enough, here's Passenger.


The Lumineers - Ho Hey

As if Mumford & Sons wasn't enough, here's The Lumineers. Voice reminds me of Band Of Horses.


Stay Gold - Wallpaper

It's kinda catchy.


Maya's Moving Castle - War

New Belgian band. This is the only rendition I can find of this song on youtube, and it happens to be one where the vocalist is clearly having an off-day.


The Happy - Walkmen

Lacks a little substance. Isolde Lasoen is apparently still the go-to percussionist for pretty much any start-up band in the Ghent area.


Blackie & The Oohoos - When light falls in

New band. This does absolutely nothing for me.


Protection Patrol Pinkerton - Future = our home

And yet another new Belgian band. The vocalist also has a cabaret/stand-up comedy career. This song has a killer guitar riff (not unlike Two Door Cinema Club), but could've done with a little punch to keep things interesting.


Lenka - Everything at once

Lenka. She already manufactured a good radio-single a couple years back (this one), and here's another one. This song got picked to feature in the Windows 8 commercial.


Kasabian - Roll like we used to

I'll never be the biggest Kasabian-fan in the world, but I'll admit they have flair and guts.

No comments:

Post a Comment