Wednesday, September 23, 2009

tv shows

With the start of the new tv season, I've temporarily traded in my World of Warcraft addiction for a rekindled tv-show addiction. Besides pretty much daily doses of local programs Man Bijt Hond and Komen Eten, and a couple of local series (Los Zand, Code 37, De Jaren Stillekes), I'm also watching:

Mad Men won best drama for the second time in a row at the 2009 Emmy's.
Can't say this is a superexciting show, because plotlines aren't really that spectacular, but as a visually stunning document of a time era, it does a pretty good job. I love all the sixties clothes, interiors, cars and all that jazz. Let's have a look at the ladies:


And of course, Don Draper is my new hero. Stylewise, he is very reminiscent of Dale Cooper.




I quit watching House MD somewhere during the first season because I found the episode structure too formulaic (pretty much a medical CSI) and the side characters just not thrilling enough. When I heard that Olivia Wilde (if the picture below can't convince you, check out her emmy's 2009 attire here) was joining the cast in the fourth season, it was enough to convince me to give it another try, and right now, I'm pretty much hooked again. First of all, the whole plotline of House choosing a new assistant by testing which one can cope with his bullying the longest, is pretty cool. Secondly, Ms. Wilde (you may have seen her in The OC or The Black Donnelly's) is someone I never mind watching, and the makers of this series know this, because she's the only cast member that gets regular close-ups. Seeing as half of the most episodes is made of medical reasoning that us regular mortals can only pretend to comprehend, this show does a pretty good job at staying interesting.


Fifth season of Lost isn't really doing much for me at the moment. Third season of Entourage is still ok, but I'm not seeing enough Emmanuelle Chriqui, and I still hate the main character Vincent Chase. Such a douche. Second season of Flight of the Conchords remains mildly entertaining and periodically hilarious. Saw one episode of The Sarah Silverman show, major disappointment. And I would watch 30 rock on the national tv station on Saturday, but unfortunately it has to concede its time slot pretty much weekly to the Vuelta and other total non-events. Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment